Tax Audit Help: IRS Audit Defense, Assistance & Representation
Tax audits can be stressful and complicated. You can find tax professionals on our site that have helped thousands of taxpayers work their way through IRS and State tax audits. We can help connect you with a tax professional that can either provide you with audit assistance or audit representation.
How Audit Assistance Works
- Have a tax professional review your notice and explain what everything means
- Help you find or come up with any documents you may need
- Research all of the issues that are mentioned in the notice
- Get a detailed description of what to expect during the audit
- Review the audit findings and get a detailed description of next steps
- Understand your options if are audited and owe more money and cannot pay
- Get an understanding if your case is qualified for an appeal
If you want your professional to do all handling for you, that can be done as well. You can have your tax professional handle all communication and represent you before the IRS or State taxing authority.
How Audit Representation Works
- All audit communication goes to your tax professional and they respond back on your behalf
- Research any issues that are likely to come up during the audit
- Respond to the taxing authorities arguments by coming up with answers on your behalf
- Meet with the IRS or taxing authority in person if required on your behalf
- Negotiate and settle taxes owed if you end up owing more money during the audit and cannot pay
- Handle any unforeseen issues that may arise during the audit
How Using a Professional is Beneficial During an Audit
Using a tax professional to help with an audit can significantly increase your chances of getting a better outcome. Many times individuals don’t realize that audits can go both ways, you may actually end up being owed money after an audit. A tax professional can analyze your situation and find the best approach to take in order to get the best outcome. The IRS actually prefers working with tax professionals because it makes their job easier and helps the process move along more efficiently, which can actually result in a more favorable decision.
How it Works
- View our network's top-rated audit professionals on the right column of this page. Also, use the search feature on our site to get more granular with your tax issue to find the best professional that meets your unique needs.
- Get a quick understand of how the professional can help you in your particular situation and what the likely outcome will be
- You can choose to have the tax firm/tax professional file for power of attorney and represent you before the IRS or State taxation authority
- Get your audit underway without the stress of handling it on your own
Do you need help defending against an IRS audit? Understand how we can help connect you with a tax professional to either give you audit assistance or audit representation. Using a tax professional can significantly increase your chances of getting a better outcome. Audits are stressful and time-consuming.
To find a list of tax professionals that help with a tax audit, these tax professionals have experience resolving IRS audits. You can also begin a search below and click "audit or examination" using the search filter called "IRS problem experience."