Amend Taxes: Guide on Filing & Amending Federal Tax Returns

amend tax return

It is essential for each taxpayer to understand how and when to file an amended tax return. Despite your best efforts when preparing your tax return, at some point in your life, you will undoubtedly come across a time when you must amend your tax return. It happens after you have filed your tax return and realize you need to make changes. The following information can help you determine when you need to file an amended return and how to go about the process.

Reasons to Amend a Tax Return

Once you notice errors on your tax return, do not immediately assume you have to file an amended return. If the mistakes are mathematical, you probably do not have to file an amended return. It means if you entered the correct figures but made an error in adding or subtracting, the IRS computers will spot your mistake and make the corrections automatically. Changes to your tax return for the following reasons will require you to file an amended return:

  • Additional withholding- 1099 or W2
  • Extra income- 1099, W2 or other statements reporting income
  • Adding or removing dependents
  • Changing personal exemptions
  • Changes to tax credits- this included adding, eliminating or recalculating credits
  • Reporting the correct filing status
  • Changes to standard, itemized or above-the-line deductions

To avoid problems with the IRS, you should file an amended return whenever there has been a mistake in the reporting of your filing status, income, credits or deductions.

How to File an Amended Tax Return

If you have determined that you must file an amended return, you must do so manually using Form 1040X. Form 1040X is the Amended U.S. Individual Tax Return and can be used to correct the following previously filed Forms; 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040NR, and 1040NR-EZ. In order to file your amended return, you will need your original tax return to reference when filling out Form 1040X. You do not want to make mistakes the second time around. Therefore it is important you have all the correct data in front of you to ensure the amended form is without error. In addition to sending the completed Form 1040X, you must also submit copies of any forms or schedules that have changed as a result of the amendment. Any additional documentation that was received after filing your original tax return (W2, 1099, etc.) should also be submitted along with the rest of the required documentation.

When a person files an amended return, it may result in a change to the amount of refund received or tax liability owed. For this reason, it may be in your best interest to consult with a tax professional for advice on how to handle changes that may result from the amended return. You can start your search below to find the highest-rated tax professional to help with your unique tax problem.


Find & Evaluate Licensed Tax Professionals to Solve Your Tax Issues

Select Tax Agency/Agencies

Find & Evaluate Licensed Tax Professionals to Solve Your Tax Issues

Select Tax Agency/Agencies